Monday, October 15, 2012

My Top 3: Tinted Lip Balms

Originally, I wanted to do a post on nails first, but since I don't have time to remanicure my nails, I decided to post on my three favorite tinted lip balms instead!

I know a lot of blogs and magazines feature more dramatic lip looks and lipsticks, but I find that I'm just not comfortable with wearing drastic colors outside of my bathroom, especially considering how rarely I see other girls wearing it.  Since I started medical school, it's not practical (or appropriate) for me to wear heavily colored lipsticks.  On the other hand, I don't like thick, sticky glosses, so I tend to stay away from those.  I also have pale lips, so I don't like to wear plain lip balm.  During wintertime, my lips get chapped pretty badly, so I can't just stick to lipstain like I usually do in the summer.  Considering my rather well development requirements for lipcare, I've recently gravitated towards tinted lip balms and lipstains.  These of the three that I'll be reviewing today:


They are the:
1. Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Rose
2. NYX Tinted Linted Spa in Orange Passion
3. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Cherish Devotion

Here are some other views and a swatch test on my hand:



Here is what my lips look like naked (gasp!):


I got the Fresh Sugar Rose tinted lip treatment from Sephora.  You should sign up for their Beauty Insider program if you haven't already!  I got this mini version as part of my free birthday present from the store.  It's the sheerest of the three and is lightly tinted.  Here is what it looks on:

As you can see, the color is pretty light.  You can still see some of the color variation on my lips.  I use this one pretty much all the time.  It smells really good (lemons!) and it's surprisingly creamy.  I feel like it rubs off really quickly because it is a lip balm.  I'd say this is pretty well suited for normal wear, but not so much for parties/social functions because it is a little on the sheer side.  However, it does has SPF 15, which I like.

The NYX Tinted Lip Spa has been the one that I've used the longest.  It's probably the most highly pigmented of the three and it is also the creamiest.  Here is what this one look like:

I love this coral color!  The only complaint I have about this one is the loose fitting cap.  I was much cheaper than the Sugar Rose treatment ($4 vs $22).  You can purchase this one online at CherryCulture.  I also have this one in Vintage, which I also like.  I'd say this one you can probably wear out to parties.  Definitely worth the $4.15, but it is hard to find in a store.

The last one that I purchased very recently is Revlon's Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Cherish Devotion (Honestly, not crazy about the name.  Sounds like I'm going to church and getting married, but that's really my only complaint).  Here's the picture:

I was looking for a fuchsia lip color, and I stumbled across this one while waiting on the pharmacy in Walgreens.  I thought it would be a bit more pigmented than it was, but I really like the texture of it and it has moisturized my lips pretty well.  Like the Orange Passion, it's subtle without being unnoticeable.  It's a lot harder than the other two (doesn't melt onto your lips as quickly), but it lasts longer.  I don't feel like it stains as well as normal lipstain, but my lips are more colorful than if I had used a tinted lip balm vs. this balm stain.   This one costs $7-9 and you can find it online/in stores just about anywhere (Walmart's is pretty cheap).  

That's my review!  Let me know if you have any questions or if you want to know about similar products.  My next review is going to be a nail one on Sally Hansen's Complete Span Manicure:

(Got these for $1.50 at Walgreens, AWESOME!!)

Now, back to studying for my Genetics and Neoplasm final... >.<

No comments:

Post a Comment